Welcome friends to Back Issue Bloodbath, a comics-centric podcast presented by Geek Hard. Join hosts Andrew Young and Gavin Stephens as they get down and dirty in the four-colour world of comic books, focusing on classic stories, new issues, comic creators and hot button topics.
This week marks a very special episode as Andrew sat down with comic writer (and longtime Geek Hard supporter) J Torres at Fan Expo Canada to talk about his first published work, The Copybook Tales. Originally released in the mid-ninties, The Copybook Tales is about Jamie, a young man trying to make it as a comic writer and finding inspiration from the journals he kept in his teenage years in the eighties. A semi-autobiographical indie comic, the series was released through Slave Labor Graphics and eventually was released as a trade paperback collected edition from Oni Press. With art by Tim Levins, the book remains a cult classic for the comic fans lucky enough to find this gem.
Take a listen as Andrew talks with Torres about his inspirations for the book as well as his begrudging commitment to buying the works of John Byrne, his real life high school group of friends that had too many Craigs, and his undying love for Phoebe Cates. Strap yourselves in for a fun, nostalgic revisiting of The Copybook Tales, the comic that started J Torres career on an ALL NEW Back Issue Bloodbath!
Have an idea for a certain topic we should cover? Have an indie comic book you’d like us to review? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Back Issue Bloodbath” in the subject line. We’d love to hear from you.
If you’re gonna geek out, GEEK HARD!
Latest posts by Andrew Young (see all)
- Back Issue Bloodbath Episode 78: Spotlight on George Perez - April 26, 2017
- 5 Reasons to Come to Geek Hard Live at Comedy Bar this Saturday! - April 26, 2017
- New Comics (04-26-2017) - April 25, 2017
- Geek Hard @ Toronto ComiCon 2017: An Interview with Paul Amos - April 25, 2017
- This Week’s Episode of Geek Hard (04-28-2017): Borne on the Broadside of a Circle with Christian Lipski & Jeff Vandermeer - April 24, 2017